SIT-NAFSA connections run deep
Announcement Date: May 2, 2019
At least six current NAFSA volunteer leaders have roots at School for International Training and one, SIT Graduate Institute International Education MA Program Chair Dr. Sora Friedman, chairs NAFSA’s Teaching, Learning and Scholarship Knowledge Community and has co-edited a new NAFSA publication about careers in the field. Other volunteer leaders include these SIT Graduate Institute alumni:
- Ravi Shankar, president and chair of the NAFSA Board of Directors
- Jesse Lutabingwa, nember, Board of Directors
- Krista McCallum Beatty, past chair, International Student and Scholar Services Knowledge Community
- Namiko Bagirimvano, poster chair, Annual Conference Committee
- Stephanie Holleran, member, Membership Engagement Committe
Friedman co-edited her new book, Careers in International Education: A Guide for New Professionals, with Amir Reza. Both are leaders in the field with significant experience coaching and hiring entry-level professionals.
The book is a practical guide to planning the first five to seven years of a career in international education. With co-author Amir Reza, the book takes the reader through professional performance and context, including tools for understanding one’s own background, skills, and areas for continued professional development; practical tools and resources for job seekers; and detailed steps that a reader can take to secure their next position. It includes self-administered assessments as well as expert essays by the authors and other international educators to showcase examples.