"I [studied] with the SIT Jordan Modernization and Social Change program, and I would not have been able to go if it wasn't for SIT Study Abroad scholarships, Benjamin Gilman scholarships, or Pell Grants. You are giving an amazing opportunity to many undergraduate students who may not be able to study abroad because of finances."
Danielle Cole, University of Kentucky
Each year, SIT awards approximately $750,000 in scholarships and grants to SIT Study Abroad students. More than 80% of students who complete the scholarship application process receive an SIT scholarship or grant.
- Submit your program application to SIT Study Abroad Admissions.
- Turn in SIT’s Financial Assessment Form (PDF) to your school’s financial aid office, after filling out the top section. Ask them to complete and return the form to SIT.
- Add SIT’s school code (008860) to your FAFSA form (if applicable).
It is our goal to make study abroad opportunities affordable for a diverse group of students from colleges and universities across the US. Financial need is a primary consideration in our awarding process.
SIT Study Abroad scholarships – see full list below
- SIT scholarships and grants are available for all terms of study: semester, summer, and academic year.
- Individual awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- SIT scholarships and grants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
- SIT’s Financial Assessment form must be submitted to your home institution’s financial aid office before your SIT program’s admissions deadline.
What about the FAFSA? If you file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for your home institution for 2013–2014, add SIT to the school section; it is critical that you do so prior to your SIT program’s application deadline, in order to be considered for an SIT scholarship. SIT’s school code is 008860.
You do not need to file a FAFSA solely for SIT if you otherwise wouldn’t do so. Simply submit your program application to SIT and the SIT Financial Assessment form to your home school.
SIT Study Abroad Scholarships and Grants
Every SIT Study Abroad applicant who completes the SIT scholarship and grant application process prior to their program application deadline will be considered for the following awards. There is no separate scholarship application.
- SIT Pell Grant Match Award — SIT now matches Federal Pell Grant funding for all study abroad programs.
- The Compton Fund — For students enrolled in SIT programs with environmental, peace studies, or sustainable development themes.
- SIT Engineering Scholarship — For students enrolled in undergraduate engineering programs who have demonstrated financial need.
- The Experiment in International Living (EIL) Alumni Study Abroad Scholarship — To recognize and support alumni of EIL summer high school programs.
- The Houston International Scholarship — For undergraduate students in any field or major from Houston, Texas, and surrounding areas.
- HBCU Scholarships — For students enrolled at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
- IHP Grant — Need-based grant assistance for students participating on an IHP comparative program.
- The Lewy Family Global Health Scholars Fund — For women scholars who plan to undertake a health-related Independent Study Project.
- The Middle East and Islamic Studies Scholarship — For students participating in programs with significant Middle Eastern and/or Islamic studies content.
- Sally Bragg Baker Scholarship — For a female participant in any semester program who demonstrates international awareness and a desire to create a more peaceful world through international exchange.
- SIT Bonner Scholar Award — For students participating in this community service program.
- SIT Fund — For students with demonstrated financial need who enroll in any SIT Study Abroad program, to help promote study abroad opportunities worldwide.
- The Workum Fund — For SIT Study Abroad students studying on programs in the Indian subcontinent (India and Nepal), including the Tibetan and Himalayan Peoples program.
Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact the SIT Study Abroad Financial Aid Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 802 258-3503) or your SIT Study Abroad admissions counselor with any questions related to SIT scholarship opportunities.
- How to Choose a Program
- View SIT Study Abroad Undergraduate Research / ISP Collection
- View the 2013 Overview Brochure (PDF, 1MB)
- View the 2013 Semester Catalog (PDF, 4MB)
- View the 2013 Summer Catalog (PDF, 1MB)
- View Our Photo Galleries on Flickr
- Academic Resources/Library
- Track Your Application Online
- US State Department "Students Abroad"
- SIT Study Abroad Gear