Chile: Public Health, Traditional Medicine, and Community Empowerment
- How to Choose a Program
- View SIT Study Abroad Undergraduate Research / ISP Collection
- View the 2013 Overview Brochure (PDF, 1MB)
- View the 2013 Semester Catalog (PDF, 4MB)
- View the 2013 Summer Catalog (PDF, 1MB)
- View Our Photo Galleries on Flickr
- Academic Resources/Library
- Track Your Application Online
- US State Department "Students Abroad"
- SIT Study Abroad Gear
Students in the Chile health program experience an eight-week homestay with carefully selected families in Arica. Host families warmly welcome students into their homes and help students become further immersed in Chilean culture and society. The homestay provides students an excellent opportunity to improve their Spanish by sharing daily conversions and activities with host family members.
Most host families are middle class and are composed of parents and at least one child. It is customary for students to enjoy breakfast and lunch with their host family. On weekends, students may enjoy sharing family activities together, which could include birthday and anniversary celebrations.
Other accommodations during the program include hostels, private homes, or small hotels.
Duration: 15 weeks
Program Base: Arica
Language Study: Spanish
Prerequisites: Coursework in public health, development studies, community or social sciences, or other related fields; 4 semesters college-level Spanish. Read more...
View Student Evaluations for this program: