India: Traditional Medicine and Healthcare Practices (Summer)
- How to Choose a Program
- View SIT Study Abroad Undergraduate Research / ISP Collection
- View the 2014 Overview Brochure (PDF, 2MB)
- View the 2014 Semester Catalog (PDF, 8MB)
- View the 2014 Summer Catalog (PDF, 1MB)
- View Our Photo Galleries on Flickr
- Academic Resources/Library
- Track Your Application Online
- US State Department "Students Abroad"
- SIT Study Abroad Gear
Explore how an ancient civilization maintains vibrant traditional medicine and healthcare systems while experiencing very high economic growth and modernization.
This program examines many of the social, economic, cultural, and legal paradigms that provide a context for healthcare service delivery among diverse groups in India. Students consider how policy and practice link together to either support or hinder specific health systems, and how uneven access to modern healthcare may affect the sustainability of traditional systems.
The program’s major topics of study are as follows:
- Ayurveda in philosophy and its practical applications as a healing system
- Yoga as preventative and curative medicine
- Indigenous health systems in rural communities in Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh
- The Himalayas as a repository of medicinal herbs
Students consider how other issues, including climate change, globalization, and India’s modern development agenda, may be impacting health services and healthcare access across the country. By visiting Himalayan locations — home to some of India’s rich botanical natural resources — students learn how environment and healthcare are linked at state and local levels.
Site visits may include visiting diverse health and healing centers such as:
Program lecturers will be drawn from institutions such as:
- Health Action International – Asia-Pacific
- Himalayan Institute of Medical Science
- Hamdard Unani Medical College, Hamdard University, New Delhi
- Himalayan Research Institute of Yoga and Naturopathy, Palampur
- Tibetan Medical and Astrological Institute, Dharamsala
Duration: 6 weeks
Program Base: New Delhi
View Student Evaluations for this program:
888.272.7881 (toll-free in US)
PO Box 676, 1 Kipling Road
Brattleboro, VT 05302 USA