Netherlands: International Perspectives on Sexuality and Gender
- How to Choose a Program
- View SIT Study Abroad Undergraduate Research / ISP Collection
- View the 2014 Overview Brochure (PDF, 2MB)
- View the 2014 Semester Catalog (PDF, 8MB)
- View the 2014 Summer Catalog (PDF, 1MB)
- View Our Photo Galleries on Flickr
- Academic Resources/Library
- Track Your Application Online
- US State Department "Students Abroad"
- SIT Study Abroad Gear
Please note that in order to take advantage of dynamic learning opportunities, program excursions may occasionally vary.
The Netherlands: International Perspectives on Sexuality and Gender program includes exceptional, field-based learning opportunities for a broader and deeper understanding of course content. In addition to shorter, in-country visits, the program travels to Morocco, giving students additional insight on the issues of sexuality, gender, and migration from a different international perspective.
During this two-week excursion, students engage with Moroccan academics, researchers, and activists to examine the issue of sexuality and gender in a modern and Islamic society. The role of Islamic minorities is a crucial social issue in much of Europe, and issues of gender and sexuality are seen as the most visible fault line of societal tensions. Traveling to Morocco grants students the opportunity to examine these issues from a very different cultural context and perspective. Additionally, as Moroccan immigrants comprise one of the largest migrant communities in the Netherlands, this excursion also focuses on the issue of gender and migration.
The program also includes excursions within the Netherlands. Highlights include:
- The Rutgers/World Population Foundation, the Dutch expertise center on sexuality and home to the largest archive dedicated to social sexual research (Utrecht)
- The HIVOS foundation, one of the main Dutch international development funding organizations, to discuss civil society, sexuality, and development with HIVOS professional staff
- Amsterdam’s Red Light District with staff from the Prostitute Information Center
Duration: 15 weeks
Program Base: Amsterdam
Language Study: Dutch
Prerequisites: Previous college-level coursework or other preparation in sexuality and/or gender studies, as assessed by SIT. Read more...
View Student Evaluations for this program:
888.272.7881 (toll-free in US)
PO Box 676, 1 Kipling Road
Brattleboro, VT 05302 USA