Morocco: Field Studies in Journalism and New Media
- How to Choose a Program
- View SIT Study Abroad Undergraduate Research / ISP Collection
- View the 2013 Overview Brochure (PDF, 1MB)
- View the 2013 Semester Catalog (PDF, 4MB)
- View the 2013 Summer Catalog (PDF, 1MB)
- View Our Photo Galleries on Flickr
- Academic Resources/Library
- Track Your Application Online
- US State Department "Students Abroad"
- SIT Study Abroad Gear
Imperial Excursion: Meknes, Fes, Marrakech, and Beyond
A six-day excursion takes students through the imperial cities of Meknes and Fes before going southeast to Errachidia, Rissani, and Merzouga. Students also spend time in Ouerzazate, the High Atlas Mountains, and Marrakech. They visit NGOs and local associations and learn about the everyday challenges individuals face in the outer regions of Morocco. The excursion gives students an excellent opportunity to develop new entries in their field notebook and identify potential stories for the Independent Study. Highlights of the imperial excursion include the chance to experience the Moroccan desert.
Students have the chance to compare and contrast rural versus urban lifestyles while spending a week in a rural village. During this period, students might become interested in stories, such as girls’ education, dreams of migration, the importance of water, and needs related to key infrastructure such as hospitals and markets.
Duration: 15 weeks
Program Base: Rabat
Language Study: Arabic, French
Prerequisites: Coursework in writing, journalism, or related fields. Read more...
View Student Evaluations for this program: