Madagascar: Traditional Medicine and Healthcare Systems (Summer)
- How to Choose a Program
- View SIT Study Abroad Undergraduate Research / ISP Collection
- View the 2013 Overview Brochure (PDF, 1MB)
- View the 2013 Semester Catalog (PDF, 4MB)
- View the 2013 Summer Catalog (PDF, 1MB)
- View Our Photo Galleries on Flickr
- Academic Resources/Library
- Track Your Application Online
- US State Department "Students Abroad"
- SIT Study Abroad Gear
“It was during the hike to Kingory when I realized that the knowledge I have gained on this program could not have been obtained anywhere else. The lecturers we had, the places we saw, and the staff members that I had at my disposal to query all provided unique learning opportunities that I had never experienced before.”
Ellie Shetter, American University
At every step of the program, students examine current healthcare models and debate the social and political dimensions of healthcare delivery; this is achieved through thoughtful and sustained engagement with Malagasy values and perspectives in both rural and urban settings.
Sample excursions may include visits to:
- Rural and urban allopathic healthcare centers
- Local herbalist markets
- The University of Antananarivo Faculty of Science's Pharmacology Department
- IMRA (Institut Malgache de Recherche Appliqué), a traditional medicine research center
- SoTraMEx (Societé de Transformation Malgache et d'Exportation)
Educational excursions provide students with deeper insight into the many facets of healthcare delivery in Madagascar. These include: the relationship between cultural beliefs and health delivery; national health policies and their implementation via existing government structures such as ministries and schools; nutrition and sanitation challenges; and the proliferation of non-formal education mechanisms (such as folk tales, stories, and taboos) in healthcare personal practices.
Duration: 7 weeks
Program Base: Antananarivo
Language Study: Malagasy
Prerequisites: None, although students with a background in French will have many opportunities to use their French language skills. Read more...
View Student Evaluations for this program: