Admissions Information for International Students

Types of Student Visas: F-1 and J-1


  F-1 J-1
Eligibility Restrictions None. Cannot be self-funded and substantial portion of your financial support must be from a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship from an external funding source.
On-Campus Employment Limited up to 20 hours per week while school is in session; may work full-time during vacation periods. Same as F-1.
Off-Campus Employment Yes Yes
  Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Academic Training
  Optional Practical Training (OPT) Unforeseen Economic Hardship
  Unforeseen Economic Hardship  
Possibility of Changing Status Yes, fairly easily. Yes/No. Depends on whether the student is subject to the 2-year home residency requirement.
Work Authorization For Spouse Not allowed. Yes, with evidence that earnings are not to support the J-1 visa holder, and it requires BCIS approval.
Termination of Studies Leave US immediately. Leave US immediately.
Completion of Studies Leave US in 60 days. Leave US in 30 days.

To help you obtain your I-20 and your visa, use the links below:

Read the Online Viewbook

Apply Now

Continue My Application

Connect With Us

Connect icons


800.336.1616 (toll free in US)
802.258.3510 (outside the US)



Mailing Address:
PO Box 676, 1 Kipling Road
Brattleboro, VT 05302 USA

Contact us by email.