InterLibrary Loan Policy
The purpose of Interlibrary Loan is to supplement our library’s collection by allowing access to the collections of other participating libraries in order to provide our users with needed resources. This policy complies with the recommendations of the American Library Association.
Patrons use their Interlibrary Loan accounts online to submit requests and to retrieve articles that are delivered electronically. To access the Interlibrary Loan service, enter your barcode and last name. You may need to initiate your account and update your profile information the first time you log in.
Who Can Use ILL?
- All students currently enrolled in a graduate degree program through SIT Graduate Institute
- All students enrolled in an SIT Study Abroad program; please talk to your Academic Advisor for assistance
- All faculty and staff of World Learning
ILL should only be used if::
- The library does not own the material the patron desires.
- Our copy of the material is lost. Please note this within your ILL request
ILL may not be used if::
- Our library owns the book
- Our copy is put on course reserve
- Our copy is checked out (we will put the book on hold)
- It is a request for a complete journal issue; arrangements to purchase a back issue may be possible.
Materials that can be borrowed or obtained through ILL:
- Patrons may borrow books, articles, audio/visual materials, book chapters or other materials in accordance with the policy of the lending library.
- Journal or newspaper articles may be requested through Interlibrary Loan, but we must follow copyright guidelines. Articles will be delivered electronically to patrons’ accounts whenever possible.
Duration of Interlibrary Loans:
- The library processes requests within 24 hours on weekdays and it takes 1-2 weeks for an item to be received. However, in rare instances, it may take longer.
- The lending library determines the length of the loan, usually 2-4 weeks; the due date will be indicated on a slip of paper attached to the book cover. Books must be returned to our library in a timely manner for shipping back to the lending library.
- The lending library will determine if a book can be renewed. If it is renewable, you may renew online PRIOR to the due date printed on the slip of paper on the book cover. If the due date has passed, you may send an email message to email@example.com with the transaction number or title and we will request renewal on your behalf.
- Borrowers who repeatedly keep ILL books beyond the due date will be refused further service.
Fees for Interlibrary Loan:
It is our policy to borrow from libraries that do not charge for lending their materials when possible. However, if a lender charges additional fees, it is our policy to pay these costs, within reason, on behalf of our patrons.
(Text us a question of up to 160 characters. SMS service hours are Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm. Your phone number is not visible to us. Your provider's standard text messaging rates may apply.)
PO Box 676, Kipling Road
Brattleboro, VT 05302 USA