Student Life: Current Students
Safety and Security
Fire Safety Policy
Fire safety is a serious consideration. Each year, fire claims the lives of many people and injures many others. It is against the law to use fire safety equipment in a non-emergency situation. Tampering with this equipment will result in immediate suspension from the residence halls, an automatic fine, and possibly other disciplinary action.
In Case of Fire
- Sound the building’s fire alarm by pulling the lever on an alarm box located near building exits).
- Leave the building. Before opening a door into a hallway, feel the door to make sure it is cool. If it is hot, use another door or window. If the normal exit path is blocked, use an alternate escape route (see drawings in residence halls). If smoke is present, stay low to the floor where the smoke is less dense. Do not underestimate the danger of smoke. Most people killed in fires die of smoke inhalation: smoke kills!
- Call 911.
- Meet others from your residence hall outside the building. Do not return to the building until you are told it is safe to do so.
Small fires, such as wastebasket fires, must also be reported to the resident assistant or director of residence life if in the residence halls, even if they have been extinguished. In other buildings, please notify the Director of Facilities Management or the Dean or Assistant Dean of Students. Please also indicate if the fire has been extinguished.
Using Fire Extinguishers
Portable fire extinguishers are only designed to fight very small fires and keep escape routes open. Fighting fires can be extremely dangerous: never put yourself at risk to fight a fire! Use a fire extinguisher only if all of the following are true:
- The building fire alarm has been sounded and the fire has been reported.
- The fire is small and confined to the immediate area where it started (wastebasket, cushion, small appliance, etc.).
- You can fight the fire with your back to a safe escape route.
- The extinguisher is rated for the type of fire you are fighting and is in good working order.
- You have had training in the use of the extinguisher and are confident that you can operate it effectively.
- If you have the slightest doubt about whether or not to fight the fire – don’t! Instead, get out, closing the door behind you.
Periodic fire drills are required by law and should be taken seriously. Your RA will monitor these drills.
Residence hall rooms contain easily combustible materials such as clothing, furniture, paper, and bedding. To minimize the risk of fire, please adhere to the following:
- Beds must be kept away from heating units.
- Extension cords may only be used temporarily, not as a substitute for permanent wiring. They must never be used for appliances with heating elements (irons, hair dryers). Contact your RA if you don’t have an electrical outlet where one is needed.
- Fire ignition sources such as irons, high-intensity lamps, ashtrays, etc. must be kept away from all combustible materials.
- Posters, papers, tapestries, and other wall decorations should be used sparingly. Always keep 70 percent of the wall space uncovered. Do not hang flammable material from the ceiling.
Candles, oil lamps, or other sources of open flame are not allowed in residence halls. The burning of gasoline, kerosene, or other flammable liquids is not allowed in any area. Fireworks are prohibited.
- Halls, stairwells, and exits must be kept clear of obstructions at all times. Storing boxes, equipment, bicycles, etc., in these areas is prohibited. No combustible material may be stored underneath stairs.
- Flammable liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, Coleman fluid, and propane may not be stored in the residence halls.
- Fires in the fireplaces or outside the buildings are prohibited except when specifically authorized by Maintenance Services.
- Cooking is not allowed in any sleeping rooms. This includes the use of hot plates, hot pots, toaster ovens, and coffee machines.
- Irons, hair dryers, etc. are permitted but must be used with caution. Appliances must be unplugged when not in use.
- All electrical appliances must be Underwriter Laboratories (UL) inspected and in good working order. Any electrical appliance with a worn or damaged cord must be turned in to your RA or the housing coordinator.
- Any appliance or combination of appliances that overloads circuits is not allowed. Tampering with or altering circuit breakers or any part of the electrical system in any building is strictly forbidden. If a circuit breaker is tripped, contact Maintenance Services or your RA.
800.336.1616 (toll free in US)
802.258.3510 (outside the US)
PO Box 676, 1 Kipling Road
Brattleboro, VT 05302 USA