SIT and AmeriCorps
"AmeriCorps' partnership with SIT Graduate Institute provides individuals with the opportunity to encounter and address poverty while also educating themselves about the most effective ways to eliminate it. SIT offers a flexible path toward receiving a valuable degree, and ultimately a new level of understanding of the policies, programs, theories, and complexities of poverty in the United States and beyond."
Matt Dunne, Former Director, AmeriCorps*VISTA
Through SIT’s partnership with AmeriCorps, students can integrate graduate studies at SIT with AmeriCorps service.
If you have completed AmeriCorps service prior to enrolling in a graduate program at SIT:
- AmeriCorps alumni who are accepted into an SIT master’s degree program after completion of their AmeriCorps service are eligible for a tuition match of the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award, up to $5,500 during SIT’s first academic year. SIT will also waive the application fee of $50.
- Tuition matches are awarded to AmeriCorps alumni who have completed at least one year of service. In order to be considered, individuals must be admitted to one of the following SIT master’s degree programs:
- Master of Arts in Peacebuilding and Conflict Transformation
- Master of Arts in International Education
- Master of Arts in Sustainable Development (Vermont)
- Master of Arts in Sustainable Development: International Policy and Management (Washington, DC)
- Self-Designed Master of Arts in Intercultural Service, Leadership, and Management
- Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Applicants may be considered for additional SIT merit-based awards based on the strength of their application.
If you would like to pursue AmeriCorps service and graduate school at SIT:
- Current SIT students interested in the AmeriCorps VISTA program can complete VISTA service for their SIT practicum. Students interested in this option typically apply to VISTA after beginning their initial coursework phase at SIT.
- VISTA service fulfills SIT's practicum requirement; however, the practicum must be related to the student’s coursework and career goals and be for a minimum of six months.
Learn more about AmeriCorps VISTA
In order to qualify for the AmeriCorps VISTA program, you must be a US citizen and 18 years or older.
To Identify Your AmeriCorps Affiliation
Please check the AmeriCorps Alums or AmeriCorps VISTA box on SIT’s online application. Otherwise, contact SIT’s Admissions Office at 800 336-1616 (toll free in the US) or 802-258-3510, or email email@example.com to get the application fee waived and be considered for the tuition match described above. Please state that you served (or wish to serve) with AmeriCorps and reference the partnership.
800.336.1616 (toll free in US)
802.258.3510 (outside the US)
PO Box 676, 1 Kipling Road
Brattleboro, VT 05302 USA